Pages

Saturday 25 August 2007

Companies leaving PDA market.

Hello, fellows.

There are some companies that announced they were going to leave PDA market. Fujitsu-Siemens ditched recently their Loox PDA model range. I had bought a month ago the Acer N321 and had to return it because of faulty joystick. I was waiting impatiently the replacement instead I got a full refund and Acer 321 on the website was marked as discontinued. What's going on!? Am I last of my breed? The one who loves PDA but not these devices called communicators? I reckon I am not usual customer who buy smartphones primarily to use them as phones and other functionality in rare occasions. I am a heavy user of almost all functionality PDA can provide: personal finances, e-books, Adobe documents, TomTom, RSS, news, browsing Internet and so on. And I have screen being greasy after I finished talking to someone and took a phone away from my ear. I cherish the screen of my PDA as well as my monitor. I prefer personally to use PDA at home in almost all occasions rather then computer. PDA is always instantly on while computer has to boot up or wake up from sleeping mode. And you are chained to your desk while with PDA you can walk around. It is also important for me to have as large as possible display. HP iPAQ 4705 with its 4 inches screen is definitely a champion among other PDAs. I guess I am going to stick to it until it dies completely due to its age or accident. My opinion is that PDAs are victim of the same circumstances as Windows Media Center: lack of understanding what product can do. The situation is improving for Media Center but not because customers' demands but the marketing efforts of the hardware companies such as HP, Gateway and so on. The days of "pure" PDAs are doomed to my biggest regret.

Yours sincerely,
Rustam.

0 comments:

Post a Comment